Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How to Add Nail Heads to an Upholstered Headboard?

I am new to the DIY area, but I really like the look of the tan headboards accented with nailhead trim. I am somewhat crafty so I think I can do it myself.





I will buy the plywood, foam, batting and fabric, but I may need some advice when it comes to adding the decorative nail head trim.





I will apply the nailheads to the outer edges of the bed. Do I simply hammer them in or will that tear/pill the fabric.





Also, should I add legs to the headboard or would it be okay just to affix it to the wall?





I intend to use some form of tan/jute material that seems to be pretty durable.





Any help would be great.How to Add Nail Heads to an Upholstered Headboard?
Here are a couple options for nail strips:





http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=鈥?/a>


http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=鈥?/a>





As you see, the first link is much easier to install, since you only have to hammer every fifth nail. These are best to use if the nails are not the primary means of holding the fabric, e.g. you're stapling first.





The second link is for genuine upholstery nails. These you'll want to practice with on a piece of scrap wood. The trickiest part is making sure they end up in a straight line, so use a marker to lay out your lines before nailing them in.





Hope this helps!How to Add Nail Heads to an Upholstered Headboard?
Here's a place that sells decorative nails for furniture. As long as you put the nails straight in, you don't have to worry about tearing the fabric. Practice with some scrap fabric and a piece of scrap wood. I suggest having legs on the headboard even if you have it attached to the wall as a back-up in case it comes off the wall for some reason. This way it will fall down instead of on top of you.
I picked up a roll of brass nail heads on a strip at a fabric store. The roll contains 10 yards of plastic nail heads with matching nails to use to nail through the strip every 5th nail. It is called French Natural Nailhead Trim, bu the Bulldog Hardware, 100 Patterson Street, Ogdensburg, NY 13669. The trim looks like what is on leather furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment