Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I have a nail in my tire, I can only see the head of the nail. Should I leave it be or get it repaired?

I know a place that will repair it for 10 bucks flat. However, I have a car that will let me know if the air gets low. Also, it is wedged in there completely to the point where I don't see how they would get the nail out? Should I just leave it?





Lastly, I don't recall ever going on a joy ride with a bag of nails and dropping them all over the street. How the heck do nails end up in the road?I have a nail in my tire, I can only see the head of the nail. Should I leave it be or get it repaired?
If you had gone on a joyride with a bag of nails, it would be the guy behind you that has a flat. LOL





Most nails in tires are flush. You just take a needle-nosed pliers, open it a little ways, and push in on each side of the nail. The rubber gives, and you grab the nail.





Which brings me to my next suggestion. Buy a tire plugging kit (including tools) for $8-$10, and you can fix a dozen flats. Heck, fix your neighbors flat, and CHARGE THEM $10! :-)I have a nail in my tire, I can only see the head of the nail. Should I leave it be or get it repaired?
As far as how do nails end up in the road, your jaw would drop if you saw some of the many objects we've pulled out of tires at my dealership. As far as fixing it, Yes fix it soon. It could start leaking anytime. Do you want to have to sit in a grocery store parking lot waiting for AAA to come change your tire, or better yet, do you want to put on your spare yourself in the same situation, if you don't have Roadside Assistance?





The tire place/mechanic will have the tools to get the nail out regardless of how deep it is in, if they can't pull it, they will dismount the tire from the rim and push it out.





Dont leave it, for ten dollars the risk to your saftey and the saftey of others isn't worth it.
Just get it fixed. Otherwise it's going to leak slowly and it may go flat while you are sleeping. And they get it out cause they take the tire off and wow--they can see INSIDE the tire. They can take the nail out, patch it and you will be ok. Nails aren't just in the road, they are in parking lots and the like. Stuff like that happens.Unless it's in the sidewall, just get it fixed.
You may have passed by a post construction site if not in place where construction is going on.


To remove the nails may cause your tire to deflate more, If it does not change the tire gauge condition leave it for a while until you have time to have it repaired, but once you notice any sign of deflation have it fixed for your safety.
You should definitely take it to a shop. Oh and nails can pretty much get on the road by..well i guess people sometimes drop nails by the road. that would be the most common reason i guess.





P.S oh and don't leave it in there just in case air starts to leak. It would be better to just have a shop look at it.
It's better if you get it repaired, but DO NOT remove the nail if you do! If you take out the nail, they won't know where the hole is to fix it. Leave the nail in, take it to the shop, and they'll pull out the nail and plug the hole.
let the repair facility take the nail out when they repair the tire, other than that if you pull it out you will be changing a flat tire.
leave it in and drive to the tire shop and get it fixed. It will probably give you an annoying slow leak if you don't.
You leave it be!


Take it and get it repaired.
dude just fix it,better than having to replace it later



fix it now or ruin your rims later
If you leave the nail in it WILL start leaking if it hasn't already. You should take it to the shop you mentioned and get it fixed ASAP or you can plug it your self. You can get a plugging kit at Wal-mart for about the $10 the shop will charge you and still be able to plug about 4 more tires with what is left over. You can either take the tire off the car or leave it on but do it where you have access to an air supply. Pulling the nail out is easy all you need is a pair of pliars and maybe a screw driver. When you pull the nail out the air will then start coming out fast. The kit has instructions on how to plug the tire. I used up my first kit a long time ago so I got a package of 25 plugs and a can of glue at Wal-mart and have used up about half of those in the past few years. Think of the money I saved plugging my own tires. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment