Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Did Carl Jung hit the nail on the head? Some people believe it's all smoke and mirrors. What do you think?

Here is first poem in my sequence of typesetting assignmets for today:





*****


Tao and Trinity


by Glenn Robert Swetman (1980)





Morning was so spring


so mild


that I felt neither warm


nor cool


but part of air.





Spring was refulgent,


coessential with me:


all time and I, coeval





and then a grasshopper


buzzed with his rattle'snake sound.





Spring, God, and me:


a bug tore us apart.





****





I get spooked easily...I mean Synchonicitized...TDDid Carl Jung hit the nail on the head? Some people believe it's all smoke and mirrors. What do you think?
It's not -all- smoke and mirrors, but more than we usually think. I read this great book in college called 'The Philosophy of As-If' by Hugo Vaihinger (I believe it was translated from German). It really opened my eyes. It was about how we 'know' things, how we decide we know them. It was about epistemology, but he didn't use that word (in fact I don't believe I've ever seen it used in a non-theological sense).





The poem is great! We are having just such a morning here in the San Francisco Bay Area, a warm, soft, gentle morning promising a nice day. When I was a kid in Detroit we had a day like this maybe once or twice a year, and everyone would skip school. It was worth waiting for! Here in California nobody even notices a beautiful day.Did Carl Jung hit the nail on the head? Some people believe it's all smoke and mirrors. What do you think?
This one is a beauty. When people used to ask me where I attend church, I would respond by saying...';In my garden';. This is the place where I have always felt closest to God and probably always will. There is nothing like the feeling of being one with God, Nature, and Self and then have some sort of insect disrupt the peace. For me, it is usually getting buzzed by a huge red wasp.





From: ';Oh What A Tangled Web'; my favorite Dr. Swetman poem is 'Searching Through Poems Of Former Students';


What a wonderful teacher he must be to appreciate the poetry of his students on such a grand scale. I had a teacher like that and it's because of her that I ever began to write.
That is a fabulous piece your friend, Mr. Swetman, wrote. The perfect beauty of spring, but then the second half of the poem: the dark side, there is no perfection. I relate to his view, and his word choices are quite lovely. And an interesting redefinition of trinity.





I don't get your question however, then I don't know one head doctor from the other.
The professor did a fascinating job with this poem. And, it's in keeping, it seems, with this morning's theme: Here come the insects!
The microcosm of the bug has the power to upset the macrocosm of the Earth.


Well spoken words...meaning in its entirety...not one line wasted.
Don't get spooked...go with the flow of the poem...which, in my opinion, causes me to think and wonder.
So few the words, yet so much is said. A lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment