Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why should we tip a masseuse, nail salon, or stylist etc if they make wayyy more then we do per head or per hr?

I have been having this conversation with a few people I work with. I am pretty good on tipping I must say, but a girl I work with told me she doesn't feel she should have to tip when their clearly making more money then us. She happens to be married to a wealthy family, and at first I disagreed with her but then I got to thinking about something once my own stylist complained that her clients don't tip well enough and some not at all. She has black/white clients and stated that the blacks ones don't know how to tip, and she's black but the chick I work with is white. After hearing her say this, it sort of irritated me because people are having hard times and although I tip very well, i I sometimes won't even get my nails done, or my hair if I'm low on cash and can't afford a tip. I'm just looking for thoughts, this is not meant to offend anyone but seriously I want to hear thoughts on this. Before digging into this I always felt like I HAD tip and not just average, at the least 20% percent but I realize I'm staying in the dog house while others are moving up. My husband thinks if they chose the profession that is their job but has decided waiters/waitresses definitely deserve a tip.


I'm a nurse who helps people on a daily basis, I don't get shyt for it.Why should we tip a masseuse, nail salon, or stylist etc if they make wayyy more then we do per head or per hr?
The answer is that we are suckers in the USA about tipping. I understand with servers how this is our system now, but for all these others, some even union workers, it is ridiculous





It is a scam, and egged on by those who receive tips and want more tips. What the thumbs down come a-flying! LOL





http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=鈥?/a>Why should we tip a masseuse, nail salon, or stylist etc if they make wayyy more then we do per head or per hr?
Tipping is outmoded and unregulated. It is really just extortion. We are made to feel guilty by being told that those who serve in these industries don't make as much as the service costs because they have to pay for supplies, bills, etc., but face it, they are still making more than most of us because these are luxury services and they charge exorbitant amounts to begin with.





Every one and their brother thinks they deserve to be tipped, from the hair stylist to the coffee guy, to the mail man. No one leaves a tip for me in the bed pan when they leave the hospital; I'm a nurse, and sometimes my duties include saving someone's life, but no one is tipping me.





As to the restaurant industry, they need to pay their employees a real wage.





Most people that receive tips are usually offended at anything less than 25% (I know right, but I have had this discussion with many in service industries), because the nature of tipping is to perceive that you have done outstanding service and warrant something more; when it is usually for what would be considered average work, in other words they did what they were supposed to do.
All those people generally don't get the entire amount charged the customer, they get a tiny fraction of that, unless they are cutting your hair, doing your nails or giving the massage in their own home. The shop or salon they work for gets the fee and gives the employee (the service giver) a portion of the charge. I agree these people should not need to be tipped but that's the way business works in the US anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment