Friday, January 15, 2010

What is it called? 5ft~ solid iron rod, one end flat like a screwdriver, the other like a nail head?

I used to use one all the time to break up asphalt, concrete, and generally digging around or agitating earth... When I worked for the county we always called them ';breaker bars'; but after extensive Google searching, it most certainly is NOT a breaker bar.





Anyone have any clue what it is called? Once more, It is roughly 5ft in length, approximately 1-2'; in diameter, one end is like that of a nail head, the other is like a flat=head screwdriver.





I really want to know because I'm trying to explain to my friends what it was that I just killed a 5' long moccasin with. I say metal rod and they say cool. If I show them a 30lb bar used to separate concrete and asphalt it certainly would seem cooler ;) Also the state of Alabama refers to these bars as something they are not. Curse you Alabama.What is it called? 5ft~ solid iron rod, one end flat like a screwdriver, the other like a nail head?
It's called a Spud Bar. See the link below to Wikipedia. Although the pictured one has a longer wider point, the general description matches it perfectly.





In Australia we call them crowbars but a crowbar in the US is smaller and shaped differently.





But killing a snake with a Spud Bar sounds a little weird too.What is it called? 5ft~ solid iron rod, one end flat like a screwdriver, the other like a nail head?
My dad has always referred to them as prybars, and used them to help set fence posts. I googled it and found this instead and I think that it is what you are looking for.


http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s鈥?/a>
been using one for 37 years tearing out sidewalks and we call them spud bars...

No comments:

Post a Comment