Friday, January 15, 2010

My antique cedar box is missing 1/4'; round head nails/tacks which attach the hinges. Where can I find some?

I would like to repair my antique cedar jewelry/trinket box, but I can't find decorative nails to replace the missing ones. They look kind of like upholstery tacks, but smaller. Where can I find some?My antique cedar box is missing 1/4'; round head nails/tacks which attach the hinges. Where can I find some?
try www.rockler.comMy antique cedar box is missing 1/4'; round head nails/tacks which attach the hinges. Where can I find some?
check the neerest hardware store, if they don't have tacks small slotted screws would do fine and keep an antique look,besides they will hold better
You are looking for escutcheon pins. They are small nails with rounded heads, generally made of brass.





I have found 1/2 inch ones at ACE hardware, but Rockler is a good choice for such antique items.
if you can find the decor that you want but is the wrong length use a pair of dikes and shorten it down to the size you want.or a upholstery shop might direct you in the right path.another option is trying to find out where the box was made and maybe just maybe the company is still in business.there is a place where i get alot of stuff from called rockler.com this may help.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,nice blog post about Cedar Box,if i find some solution ,I will tell you
    defenetly.

    ReplyDelete